Click here to join.
We provide solutions driven advice on HR and employment law issues within the UK and internationally. We differentiate ourselves by offering clients an integrated service working in collaboration with our immigration, pensions, employee benefits, data protection and tax specialists to handle all of your people related legal needs.
Our primary focus is achieving your commercial objective in the most efficient manner possible. We work closely with you to understand your business and to use our experience to recommend clear solutions to complex and/or sensitive problems.
Our clients include industry leaders, stock market listed companies, global brands and owner managed businesses. We have specialisms in the technology, real estate, recruitment, hospitality, financial services and commercial outsourcing sectors.
We advise on all aspects of the employment relationship cycle starting with recruitment and on boarding (drafting contractual documentation, establishing competitive remuneration and benefit structures and securing rights to work in the UK); covering all issues during the relationship (managing conduct and capability issues, resolving disputes, talent management and assisting with changes to employment terms and workforce restructures); and all aspects of ending the relationship (devising exit strategies to minimise the risk of legal claims, ensuring the effective protection of business interests including from the loss of clients and staff and acting in litigation disputes in the Employment Tribunal and higher Courts). We also advise on the employment aspects of commercial transactions and outsourcing projects.
We also differentiate ourselves from our competitors through our international reach via our team’s specialised iGlobal Law business which enables us to provide advice within the UK and to manage on our clients’ behalf cross-border and country-specific employment law, data and privacy, whistleblowing, UK Bribery Act, FCPA and compliance advice in over 60 jurisdictions.
- Acting for a medical research and development company, the team has advised on a range of matters, including (i) harmonisation of employment terms and TUPE issues arising from company acquisitions; (ii) a complete revision of the employment contract and company handbook; (iii) assisting with exit management strategies for senior employees; and (vi) tax issues arising from employee benefits.
- Advising several global hospitality businesses on (i) restructuring of the workforce including changes to shift patterns; (ii) drafting and implementing new restrictive covenants; (iii) a large-scale redundancy/office closure exercise, including collective and individual consultation and guidance upon the strategic approach to be undertaken and a large number of issues arising from the exercise, including dealing with press enquiries; and (iv) defending a number of Tribunal claims concerning various allegations, including unfair dismissal and discrimination.
- Acting for a national care provider advising on the employment aspects of multiple business and site acquisitions and negotiating the outsourcing of key back office functions.
- Acting for a national facilities management business including (i) the departure of several board level employees; (ii) managing formal requests for Trade Union recognition; (iii) complex TUPE issues on the entry into and exit from public sector contracts; and (iv) several multi-party litigation disputes involving discrimination, whistleblowing and trade union issues.
- Advising a national resource management business on (i) the retendering for a large government contract. This included both the contractual documentation and then the consequential reorganisation of the business, including a large-scale restructure/redundancy exercise which was completed without any claims; (ii) a substantial change in the location of offices, leading again to a restructuring exercise, which the team assisted upon at all stages including, unfortunately, consequential redundancies; and (iii) the sale of one of its subsidiaries and the transfer of employees.
Changes to the taxation of termination payments.
The government is proposing to introduce new legislation from April 2018 in relation to the taxation of termination payments. The changes are aimed at simplifying the existing position, but one… Read more →
"Wedlake Bell LLP’s ‘extremely knowledgeable’ and ‘commercially savvy’ department excels in handling employment documentation, disciplinary matters and remuneration issues."
— Legal 500, 2017
"Ravinder Mahal and Richard Isham led advice to CDK Global on a wage deduction issue regarding unauthorised expenses incurred by employees across a number of jurisdictions."
— Legal 500, 2017
"Isham and David Israel advised Illumina on employment documentation for employees across various jurisdictions in the US and Europe."
— Legal 500, 2017
"The department is led by Adam Grant, who advises on business reorganisations, outsourcing and transactional issues, as well as litigation before the Employment Tribunal and the High Court. Other clients include West Corporation, Brocade Communications Systems and the London School of Economics."
— Legal 500, 2017