Data protection is at the heart of our growing technology practice. We have a team of dedicated data protection specialists supported by our data protection enthusiasts. Our service offering includes specialist advice, transactional support and ongoing retainers.
We are practical, quality-focused and experienced lawyers able to provide ‘plug and play’ advice on data protection issues in the private and public sector.
Data protection is all about risk-based approaches, balanced assessments and communications tailored to audiences. We pride ourselves on our expertise in legitimate interest assessments and data privacy impact assessments relating to novel data processing. Our passion for technology coupled with exposure to dealing with multi-sectoral regulatory requirements has helped us develop expertise in answering more complex data protection questions.
Our data protection team advises on:
- General GDPR compliance
- Policies and procedures
- Data sharing
- Data in technology deals and cloud solutions
- Data in new technologies including AI, ML, facial recognition, predictive analytics
- Due diligence on data-heavy corporate transactions
- Regulatory action
- Data transfer impact assessments and cross-border data transfer solutions
- Supply chain risk analysis and drafting bespoke agreements
- Cyber and information security
- Data breach response and notifications
- Data subject rights
- Claims for compensation
Thanks to our multi-sectoral client base across the firm, we benefit from strong industry awareness.
Our international referral network, TELFA, enables us to promptly assist with questions about local law and practice in other jurisdictions.
Now that general GDPR compliance projects near completion across sectors, we focus on the fast evolving technical application of data protection rules in industry-specific scenarios in a pragmatic way.
With awareness of regulatory trends and first-hand experience of regulatory practice, we confidently advise on difficult questions where the law is trying to catch up with technology.
Nevertheless, despite our ambitions in thought leadership, our main focus remains client satisfaction.
Data protection does concern every sector, one way or another, and we have worked with most industries.
Our recent experience includes working with sectors such as social media, adtech, insuretech, trading/brokerage, education, self-regulation, IT, cloud, sport, hospitality, transport, third sector, trading, luxury brands, property management and private client.
Benefits of working with us
- Expertise in all matters of data protection.
- External DPO service.
- Data protection training solutions.
- Full-service support.
- Event participation and industry connections.
- Meaningful know-how updates and regular data protection podcast.
- Advising a Fortune 500 company on employee data protection in 15 different jurisdictions.
- Advising a financial services firm on deployment of innovative technologies.
- Advising a leading UK charity on data protection matters.
- Conducting a GDPR readiness assessment for a private bank and a major private equity house.
- Advising an aerospace manufacturer on employee data protection.
- Assisting with a DPIA involving high-volume processing in the education sector.
- Supporting a leading UK construction, property services and development company on internal and transactional GDPR compliance
Use your inner ‘Big’ child to implement the Age Appropriate Design Code
Thinking about how to implement the Age Appropriate Design Code issued by the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office? Reach out to your inner child! In the movie Big, Tom Hanks played… Read more →
Data Protection and COVID-19: Can we ask our employees to share their COVID vaccination status?
Since coronavirus restrictions lifted in the UK, workers have gradually been returning to the office. With TfL figures revealing a 22% rise in London Underground commutes, employers are beginning to… Read more →
Protecting our data: Time to take it seriously?
“GDPR weighs heavily on Wealth Managers’ minds” – Rosalyn Breedy comments for Wealth Briefing
Following ‘Financial Firms Fit for the 21st Century’, Financial Services Partner, Rosalyn Breedy, has commented for WealthBriefing. (£) On research collected at the Seminar, WealthBriefing wrote that “a poll of… Read more →
“GDPR to have ‘biggest impact’ on Wealth Managers in 2018” – Wedlake Bell comments for Professional Adviser
Following the ‘Financial Firms Fit for the 21st Century’ Seminar which took place in January, Wedlake Bell have provided commentary to Professional Adviser on the attitudes of Wealth Managers towards… Read more →
GDPR Practical Steps Compliance
What the ‘snooper’s charter’ means for business and the public
Companies at risk over personal data compliance
Wearables and data collection: Insurers should think twice before tracking private data from wearables
The Law Society Text Book on GDPR
"Wedlake Bell LLP’s ‘excellent’ department is ‘very knowledgeable and well trusted’ by a client roster which includes new gain Deltanet International and Wates Group."
— Legal 500, 2017
"Other key practitioners include Jonathan Cornthwaite, Adam Edwards, Adrian Heath-Saunders and solicitor Jonathan Wright, who is ‘a highly experienced individual’."
— Legal 500, 2017