The Business of Succession
Wedlake Bell acts as a legal custodian to family offices and family businesses.
Our specialist service looks after the full spectrum of matters that affect family offices and businesses – big, medium and small – equipping you with the legal foundations for succession after succession.
Succession is our business. Our practice of specialist real estate, private client and corporate lawyers dates back to 1780. Indeed, we’ve been through succession ourselves.
Our team of highly experienced lawyers can guide you through matters from advice on choosing a corporate structure, to the effective management of real estate interests, through to succession planning.
How we make you generation proof
According to Forbes, your family office or business may not make it through its first succession. Family offices and businesses fall prey to myriad risks year-on-year, from cybersecurity, to investment plans, to succession.
But with the right, strategic legal counsel, you can make sure your family office or business’ continuity is not a function of the choices of succeeding generations, nor of the instability of markets – all the while, bolstering your underlying business development objectives.
Wedlake Bell currently provides first-class legal advice to family offices and businesses now enjoying their second, third and fourth generations.
For example, we act as your legal custodian to help you:
- Structure property deals in the most effective way so you can seize better deals, faster. Our Real Estate teams advise on every aspect of building a property portfolio, including development, purchase, ownership, management, rental, sale and all types of tax implications.
- Remain compliant with employment laws within the UK and internationally, especially amid the changing nature of employment practices with remote working. Our Business Services teams are empowered by iGlobal Law to help you ensure you follow country-specific employment, data and privacy laws in over 60 jurisdictions.
- Be guided through business-critical decisions to achieve positive results for the business and family. Our Corporate team is comprised of legal experts whose insights into commercial matters have helped everyone from start-ups to established multinational companies.
- Globalise assets in multiple jurisdictions, fully informed of how to make international transactions and issues, via our global networks. Our Trans European Law Firms Alliance has 600 legal experts across Europe, as well as Australia and China; USLAW, of which we are a member, has legal experts in over 160 offices around the world, including the USA, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, the Dominican Republic and China.
- Understand how to avoid disputes. Our Disputes Resolution teams work across all areas – Private Client, Business Services and Real Estate – to resolve potential issues before they become litigation.
- Handle family and divorce matters that could impact the wider business. Our expertise in dealing with family agreements, such as pre-nuptial agreements, means we can advise you on the positives and negatives of different options.
- Safeguard against cybersecurity threats and risks with advice from our data protection experts, who can help you keep your private data firmly in the right hands. Our data protection experts work across Business Services and Private Client practices ensure you remain compliant when globalising and outsourcing.
Sign up for event informationClick here to join.
Tatler Experts’ Corner: I’m about to inherit a stake in the family business, what should I be thinking about?
As part of the Tatler SOS Experts’ Corner, we delve into the tricky waters of trust and inheritance. Here Camilla Wallace from Wedlake Bell LLP weighs in on what to do ahead… Read more →
Shifting Sands – STEP Journal
In January 2020, 300 advisors from around the globe gathered for the third annual STEP Cayman International Wealth Structuring Forum (the Conference). We were honoured to hold the opening panel… Read more →
Bringing the next generation into the family business.
This article by Matt Braithwaite, a Partner in the Private Client team at Wedlake Bell was originally commissioned for and published by CampdenFB.com. The issues Matt explores are relevant to… Read more →
Family businesses, succession planning and trusts
The article was originally published by eprivateclient on 13 November 2018. Camilla Wallace, partner and head of private client & Rosalyn Breedy, partner and head of funds, Wedlake Bell. It… Read more →
GRASP THE NETTLE TO SECURE THE FUTURE OF YOUR FAMILY BUSINESS
With only one-in-eight family businesses making it to the third generation, what is the secret of their success? Rosalyn Breedy, corporate solicitor at Wedlake Bell, has been advising family dynasties for… Read more →
Professionalising The Family Business
This article examines some of the dynamics of family businesses, with lessons for wealth managers catering to these organisations and their owners.The following article on matters around family-owned businesses is… Read more →
Gunshots, litigation and heartbreak – lessons in how to avoid disputes in family businesses
This article was published in Wealthbriefing on 26 May 2016 The death of Huang Jung- tu, Taiwanese founder of Mayfull’s Food corporation, tragically resulted in a board room shootout and… Read more →
We consider Wedlake Bell to be an instrumental partner to our family office. Through the years, they’ve shown they have deep expertise in the business critical matters and are able to advise with our best interests in mind.
— Client Testimonial