Click here to join.
Pensions & Employee Benefits
Pension matters have never been so challenging. Our Pensions & Employee Benefits team uses its detailed knowledge of pensions law to tackle issues around affordability, business survival, HR policy and retirement savings options.
Radical upheavals in the pensions industry – coupled with rapidly changing legislation and case law – present difficult choices for employers, trustees and scheme members.
That is why our legal advice is always constructive and pragmatic with a recognition that the decisions made today will have an impact on employers’ costs, scheme management and members’ lives for many years to come.
It has never been more important to offer our pensions clients dedicated expertise from a range of legal disciplines. We work in combination with the Finance team (on the establishment of security structures), the Insolvency & Restructuring team (on distressed employer restructurings and scheme entry to the Pension Protection Fund) and the Commercial Property and Intellectual Property teams (on alternative asset funding structures) as well as the Family team (on matrimonial pension issues).
When it comes to Employee Benefits, we advise a range of clients on how they can maximise their reward and retention policies in a tax efficient way – key to which is an understanding of our clients’ commercial objectives. We also have particular expertise in advising on the disguised remuneration framework and establishing Enterprise Management Incentive Plans.
- Advising a Scandinavian parent company on the Pension Regulator's powers and jurisdiction.
- Advising non-UK residents on the tax efficient transfer of their UK pension benefits to various jurisdictions.
- Advising a Channel Island trustee company on its international pension offering.
- Establishing Enterprise Management Incentive Plans for a number of SMEs.
- Advising a Guernsey based trustee company on the disguised remuneration regime and its historic EBT arrangements.
- Advising a Swedish parent company on its UK share incentive arrangements.
Wedlake Bell LLP's pensions practice falls within the firm's business services group. Led by Justin McGilloway, the team advises occupational and personal pension schemes on scheme strategy/liability management, corporate transactions, and governance for the manufacturing, leisure, and food sectors. Paul Ashcroft joined from DWF, strengthening the team's multinational corporate transaction expertise.
— Legal 500, 2022
User friendly pensions specialists who give strong directional advice.
— Legal 500, 2022