Pensions & Employee Benefits
T: +44 (0)20 7395 3177
Clive advises on all aspects of UK pensions law drawing on over 40 years’ experience as a pensions’ lawyer. He acts for employers, trustees and members, including on restructuring of schemes, contingent asset arrangements (including for PPF purposes), dealing with the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund, and with member complaints at scheme and Pensions Ombudsman levels, advising on pension aspects of corporate transactions and on overseas transfers.
He also advises on pension death benefits and inter-generational wealth transfers in conjunction with our Private Client team.
- Switch from RPI to CPI for pension increases: advising together with leading Counsel on trustee powers to switch index and relevant factors to be considered. Assisting trustee board in arriving at a legally robust decision. Switching took place, thereby significantly reducing the scheme deficit.
- Charge over employer property to reduce PPF levy and to underpin scheme’s deficit recovery plan: Charge completed very swiftly, with assistance from colleagues in our Property and Banking Teams. Significant reduction in PPF levy achieved.
- In relation to an EU (non-UK) based employer, advising on PPF entry ‘insolvency’ requirements under EU insolvency rules (in conjunction with our Business Recoveries team), to improve prospects for the scheme to enter the PPF should the need arise.
- Advising employer and trustees in charity sector regarding rights and obligations under pension scheme, including section 75 debt aspects. Employer and trustees now understand legal position.
- Advising family members of pension disputes including tax questions.
Clive holds a degree in Law from the University of Bristol and qualified as a solicitor in 1976. He founded the Wedlake Bell pension practice in 1978 and became a Partner in Wedlake Bell in 1985. He is one of the longest serving Wedlake Bell Partners and maintains a keen interest in the delivery of cost effective quality legal services.
Clive is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers and of their Legislative and Parliamentary Committee. The Committee liaises with Government on pension legislation, meets with Government and pension authorities and comments on proposed new legislation.
Clive is one of the three joint Editors of “Law of Pension Schemes“. He is on the Editorial Board of Lexis on-line pension service which is widely used by the pensions industry.
"Clive Weber is one of the most enduring practitioners in this area and it shows with the depth of knowledge and experience he brings to his cases; you cannot buy the wisdom that Clive has acquired as a result of his many years of work in the field. He has a low key but determined and effective approach. A very safe pair of hands."
— Legal 500, 2021
"'Justin McGilloway, Clive Weber and new partner Alison Hills are all very sound and pleasant to work with'"
— Legal 500, 2020
"Clive Weber of Wedlake Bell LLP has broad experience advising trustee boards and corporate sponsors on scheme documentation and funding issues. A client says: "He gives me confidence: he is solid and reliable." "
— Legal 500, 2019
""His strengths are that he is knowledgeable, thorough, hands on, and experienced.""
— Chambers UK, 2018
"Clive Weber is ‘a real gentleman, who has a quiet but firm manner and always delivers’."
— Legal 500, 2016
"Clive Weber is well versed in advising employers and trustees on a range of complex pensions issues, including HMRC matters and pension scheme documentation."
— Chambers UK, 2016
""Budget puts overseas transfers in straitjacket""
— Pensions Expert, published 27 March 2017
""Are the select committee's DB recommendations workable?""
— Pensions Expert, published 30 July 2017
Pensions Ready Reckoner – May 2021
MEDLEY OF CASE LAW – TRUSTEES AND INTRODUCERS IN HOT WATER!
Hot air, or real deterrent?
Pensions Ready Reckoner- December 2019
Pensions Ready Reckoner – May 2019
The magician’s wand – invalid amendments put right?
Pensions Ready Reckoner – March 2019
DB recklessness offence could catch worst employers – Pensions expert March 2019
Pension Transfers and Inheritance Tax – Have HMRC won the battle?
Pensions Ready Reckoner – January 2019
Budget 2018: Brexit
Pensions Ready Reckoner – September 2018
British Airways: Court of Appeal defines the proper purpose of an occupational pension scheme and narrows the role of pension scheme trustees
Pensions Ready Reckoner – June 2018
“What is the purpose of a pension scheme?” – Clive Weber comments for Professional Pensions
Pensions Ready Reckoner – March 2018
Pensions Compass – September 2017
Legality of employer decisions
Pensions Ready Reckoner – September 2017