Our experienced Pensions & Employee Benefits team is regularly called upon to help with a wide range of corporate transactions that carry pension implications.
Defined benefit pension schemes usually represent a significant funding liability for the corporate sponsor. We work with clients to make sure that any issues associated with these schemes don’t become an obstacle to the objective behind the transaction or lead to intervention by the Pensions Regulator.
We also work with clients on share disposals/acquisitions, business disposals/acquisitions, joint ventures, outsourcing arrangements and reorganisations where early engagement on pension issues is key – this requires a unique combination of technical expertise and commercial awareness.
Finally, we help trustees involved in transactions who need to balance their own fiduciary duties with the corporate’s commercial objectives. This requires careful advice and strategic thinking in order to respond appropriately.
- Advising on the pension implications relating to the sale of shares in an aviation joint venture involving an international petroleum company.
- TUPE transfers including those emanating from public sector outsourcing contracts involving local government authorities.
- Corporate restructuring of an online gaming company including Pensions Regulator Clearance and Pension Protection Fund negotiation.
- Employer obligations stemming from new auto-enrolment duties.
- Implementation of debt apportionment arrangements for final salary schemes.
Pension Schemes Act 2021: Staying safe from the new Criminal Offences and Contribution Notices
BackgroundPrevention is better than cure. The criminal offences and new grounds for Contribution Notices (“CNs“) under the Pension Schemes Act 2021 (the “Act“) are nasty illnesses – but employers and… Read more →
Part 1 – Corporate Insolvency – emergency legislation – Pension deficits relegated ?
Introduction The Corporate Insolvency and Governance Act 2020 (the “Act”) became law on the 25th June 2020. The aim of the Act is to assist the survival of companies in… Read more →