Heritage, Art & Other Collectibles
We act for UK and international based private collectors, charities, landed estates, artists and art galleries and have a wide range of experience advising on heritage assets, art and collectibles including:
- tax planning with heritage assets including conditional exemptions, the cultural gift scheme and acceptance in lieu scheme;
- chattels leases;
- Inheritance Tax planning with classic cars (which are exempt from Capital Gains Tax);
- advising on structures to hold classic car collections including Family Limited Partnerships and Family Investment Companies;
- acting for clients with watch, jewellery, wine and shoe collections;
- lending works of art for exhibition in the UK and overseas;
- tax efficient structuring of the ownership, enjoyment and use of art and other collectibles;
- succession planning including lifetime gifts to individuals, family trusts, galleries and charities;
- advising on and documenting the use of art as collateral for lending; and
- disputes regarding heritage and collectable assets including contractual disputes on the sale and purchase of such assets, protecting intellectual property rights and dealing with provenance.
Ann Stanyer is the author of Personal Chattels: Law, Practice and Tax with Precedents which gives an account of the law surrounding the ownership, transfer, and taxations of personal chattels including heritage assets and art. Camilla Wallace is a founding member of PAIAM (Professional Advisors to the International Art Market). We are proud to be lead sponsors of the Chelsea Art Society Annual Open Exhibition since 2014.