This page contains the regulatory information required in accordance with the SRA's Transparency Rules, but our legal relationship will be governed by the terms of business that are agreed between the firm and the client.
Debt recovery: Range of fixed fees
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt Value||Court Fee||Online Claim Fee||Our fee (incl. VAT)||Total including VAT||Total excluding VAT|
|Up to £300||£35||£25||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2060||£1647|
|£300.01 - £500||£50||£35||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2085||£1668|
|£500.01 - £1,000||£70||£60||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2130||£1707|
|£1,000.01 - £1,500||£80||£70||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2150||£1720|
|£1,500.01 - £3,000||£115||£105||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2220||£1776|
|£3,000.01 - £5,000||£205||£185||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2390||£1912|
|£5,000.01 - £10,000||£455||£410||Minimum fee of £2000 plus the fees||£2865||£2290|
|£10,000.01 - £100,000||5% of the claim||4.5% of the claim||No fixed amount||TBA||TBA|
|£100,000.01 - £200,000||5% of the claim||You cannot make a clam online||No fixed amount||TBA||TBA|
|More than £200,000||£10,000||You cannot make a clam online||No fixed amount||TBA||TBA|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgment in default
- When Judgment in default is received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received within X days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
The length of time it takes from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side depends on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim, whether it is successful and whether the debtor pays promptly on receipt of Judgement. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Please note: We do not carry out debt collection work other than for existing clients unless it is above £50,000. Following is our Hourly rates. Click here.
Costs Information for Debt Recovery claims for businesses up to £100,000
The Solicitors Regulation Authority’s Transparency Rules require law firms to provide relevant information about the costs of some of their services to assist the public and small businesses to make informed choices when considering purchasing legal services.
For businesses, the services we provide and which are covered by these Rules include debt recovery up to a value of £100,000.
The fees and disbursements we will charge cover a typical debt recovery claim. These fees will, however, differ depending on complexity where, for example, counsel’s involvement is required to advise and draft proceedings in which case fees will increase. Complications may also arise which may increase fees. Whilst the table below provides a range of fee estimates, we will always provide an individual tailored fee estimate at the outset of any new matter.
Our fees are based on hourly charge out rates and are calculated by the number of hours we take to complete the work. VAT will be added to our fees and is not recoverable from the debtor. VAT is not charged on court fees.
The costs table below covers the following work that we will undertake:
- Taking instructions and reviewing documentation.
- Undertaking appropriate searches.
- Sending a letter before claim.
- Receiving payment and sending it on to you, or if the debt is not repaid, drafting and issuing proceedings.
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service of Defence is received, applying to the Court to request that Judgment in Default be entered.
- When Judgment is made, write to the debtor and demand payment.
- If payment is not received within the deadline, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
The costs table take does not include work where the debtor:
- disputes your claim and we enter into correspondence and/or some form of ADR is adopted;
- files a defence to your claim;
- applies to set aside Judgment in Default;
- is based outside of the jurisdiction; and
- fails to satisfy the Judgment debt and enforcement proceedings are required.
In these situations we will discuss next steps with you and advise you of the cost implications going forward.
|Debt Value||Court fee||Online claim fee||Our fee||Total including VAT||Total excluding VAT|
|£1000.01 - £1,500||£80||£70||£500 - £1,000||£1,050 - £1,950||£900 -£1,650
|£1,500.01 - £3,000||£115||£105||£1,000 - £1,500||£1,420 - £2020||£1,220 - £1,720|
|£3,000.01 - £5,000||£205||£185||£1,500 - £2,000||£2,190 - £2,790||£1,890 - £2,390|
|£5,000.01 - £10,000||£455||£410||£2,000 - £3,000||£3,265 - £4,465||£2,865 – 3,865|
|£10,000.01 - £100,000||5% of the claim||4.5% of the claim||£3,000 - £7,500||TBC||TBC|
The fee earners who work on our debt recovery matters are:
Matthew Cropp – Legal Director – hourly rate £440 per hour
Nick Saville – Senior Associate – hourly rate £385 per hour
Laura Davies – Associate – hourly rate £250 per hour
Trainees – hourly rate £180 per hour
Paralegals – hourly rate £140 per hour
The length of time it takes from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the debtor depends on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim, whether it is successful and whether the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
PLEASE NOTE: We do not carry out debt recovery work other than for existing clients unless its above £50,000.00.