T: +44 (0)20 7395 3105
Philip advises on all areas of commercial property work including acquisitions, disposals, lettings and development work. He also advises in relation to the financing of commercial property transactions in respect of both senior and mezzanine debt and forward funding.
For many years he has taken fixed charge receivership appointments in respect of distressed property assets having been a founder member of NARA. In addition, he drafts joint venture documentation for property projects and asset management agreements.
- Sale of part developed business park in West Midlands for £121.5m as Receiver.
- Forward letting of high profile restaurant and retail project on behalf of tenant.
- Acquisition of hotel and golf club in south east on behalf of buyer.
- Acquisition of shopping centre in north west on behalf of a joint venture.
- Refinancing the acquisition of a portfolio of distressed secured property loans on behalf of joint venture.
- Preparing a series of asset management agreements in respect of real estate assets located in Germany.
Philip joined Wedlake Bell in 1982 and became a partner in 1986. He was managing partner from 2008 to 2011. He trained at Penningtons and qualified as a solicitor in 1978. Prior to that, he obtained a degree in Law (LLB) from the University of Hull.
Philip is a Registered Property Receiver. He is a member of NARA (Fixed Charge Receivers Association) and R3 (Association of Business Recovery Professionals).
Philip co-authored an article on contaminated land/remediation issues for ‘Housebuilder Magazine’.
"Philip Matthews ‘always goes the extra mile to ensure best service and result'."
— Legal 500, 2014
Getting the Deal Through: Real Estate M&A 2018