T: +44 (0)20 7395 3164
Eleanor advises on estate and tax-planning for UK and non-UK domiciled individuals, trusts and trustees and landed estates. She also advises charities and charity trustees on all aspects of charity law and trust law, including taxation, tax efficient charitable giving and trading.
Eleanor advises on tax efficient methods of holding and passing down wealth to the next generations through the drafting of Wills and family trusts, advising on and involved in the day-to-day administration of varied types of assets and holding structures, restructuring as and where necessary to ensure wealth protection and the mitigation of taxation.
- Advising husband & wife business owners with property interests in France on complex Wills and accompanying documentation, including advice on the new Brussels IV. Also advising their adult children on asset protection and the use of trusts.
- Advising the trustees and administering a complex set of 10 trusts with 170 beneficiaries (resident worldwide).
- Advising the trustees of a landed estate on restructuring and tax mitigation following the death of the life tenant.
- Advising UK/US couples on UK estate planning.
- Advising/acting as a trustee of a private grant-making charity.
Eleanor trained at Wedlake Bell and qualified as a solicitor in 1992, becoming a partner in 2003 and Head of the Private Client Team in 2007. She served on Wedlake Bell’s Management Board from 2011 – 2016.
She is a member of the Law Society’s Private Client Section, the Charity Law Association and the Historic Houses Association.
"Leading Lawyer" and one of the "Top 20 Women in Private Wealth Management""
— Citywealth Leaders List 2012- 2014 and Citywealth Honours List 2015
"Named as one of the 50 most influential private client practitioners 2014"
— Private Client Practitioner magazine
"Awarded bronze in "Most Influential Women in Leadership""
— Citywealth Power Women Awards in 2016
"Eleanor Metcalf is described as "a star" by one fellow lawyer, who adds that "she's got good focus and she's pleasant." Metcalf is an experienced private wealth lawyer, handling estate planning and administration, and providing wealth structuring advice to affluent individuals and families. She has particular expertise in charity law, acting as a trustee, as well as a legal adviser on structuring matters to philanthropic organisations."
— Chambers HNW Guide 2017
"Eleanor Metcalf is ‘a good communicator, and provides good support and technical advice’."
— Legal 500, 2017
How can I ensure my children inherit equally?
Trust Is A Good Thing
New Inheritance Tax Relief for the Family Home
Budget 2016: Main Points for Private Clients