We represent promoters, funders and other project participants in relation to a wide range of energy infrastructure projects, including private and public distribution networks, biomass, CHP projects, wind farms, EfW and other low carbon projects.
Our work includes:
- the consenting, financing, construction and operation of onshore and offshore renewable energy assets;
- promoting and/or opposing applications for the development of nationally significant energy infrastructure; and
- the regulation of energy projects, including advice in connection with the statutory schemes applicable to the electricity, gas and renewables markets.
- Acted for the largest privately owned waste business in the UK in its development through a joint venture of a renewable energy facility consisting of the £180m Lakeside energy from waste plant including construction/engineering documents; complex land leasing structures; O&M, waste, residues, power and renewables agreements; equity and project debt arrangements; and planning and environmental issues.
- On behalf of a major statutory undertaker, opposing National Grid's application for a development consent order relating to the new Hinkley C 400kV connection to the UK electricity transmission network.
- Created a comprehensive contractual matrix for the delivery of renewable electricity generation plant to specialist commercial property for Syzygy Renewables.
- Established a fund to invest in the development and commercialisation of novel overseas carbon abatement technology.
- The installation of wind turbines to supply electricity for industrial use. The work included development control issues as well as policy, mitigation agreements and the appointment of an operator through power purchase and lease arrangements.
- Acted for Serica Energy plc in connection with a series of club financings, most recently a US$100m borrowing base facility for the development of oil and gas fields in the North Sea and Indonesia.
- Acted for a major international oil terminal operator in connection with upgrading proposals for a terminal at a UK port. The work covered permitted development rights, environmental impact assessment and Habitats Regulations protections, including considering baseline environmental data and making preliminary assessments of the magnitude of the potential impacts of the development proposals.
- Advised in respect of the development by Helius Energy of an 18 acre site in Bristol, for the construction of a 100MW biomass power plant and in respect of a proposed £300m investment by E.ON in the proposed Portbury Dock Renewable Energy Plant.
- Advised a bidder for a UK Round 3 offshore wind project in relation to its consenting strategy.
- Complex, full environmental and health & safety due diligence work on proposed acquisition of major oil storage facility, involving reviewing and advising on a wide variety of historic and current environmental consents, registrations and regulations affecting the terminal.
- Acted for UK landowners in connection with arrangements with proposed partners for the development of a variety of other renewable facilities, including biomass/biofuels, energy from waste and wind energy. Typically arrangements will involve development control structures, bespoke land leases, offtake and other commercial contracts and project finance.
- Acted for a UK landowner on the development and letting of a gas-fired power station, including agreements with operator, statutory undertakers and other landowners and complex site assembly issues.