T: +44 (0)20 7395 3011
Oliver specialises in tax planning for high net worth UK domiciled and resident individuals with particular expertise in planning with residential property. He advises on Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax, preparing Wills and administering high value and complex estates.
Oliver’s practice also covers contentious trusts and probate work including bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 (”the ’75 Act”), mental capacity claims, and claims for and against trustees.
He was named as one of eprivateclient magazine’s Top 35 Under 35 in 2015 and in 2018 and as a ‘rising star’ in the 2020 Legal 500. Oliver is also nominated for ‘Lawyer of the Year’ by Citywealth’s Future Leader Awards 2020.
- Acting for the trustees in the reported case of PQ and Another v RS and Others  EWHC 1643 (Ch).
- Working with the firm’s Corporate team on the structuring and incorporation of Family Investment Companies.
- Advising the trustees of a family trust in an appeal against a decision by HM Revenue and Customs (“HMRC”) that Entrepreneurs’ Relief was not available.
- Advising clients on IHT and CGT mitigation with residential property. This includes, co-occupation relief, Principal Private Residence advice, the use of trust structures and advice in relation to Agricultural Property Relief.
- Acting for the Independent Administrators of an estate facing four claims under the 75 Act.
- Administering various high value and/or complex estates, often where there is an HMRC compliance investigation and carrying out negotiations with HMRC.
Oliver joined Wedlake Bell as a trainee in September 2007. He qualified into the Private Client Team in March 2010 after spending six months in the firm’s marketing team.
Oliver was promoted to Associate in October 2012 and to Senior Associate in October 2016.
He is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and an Associate member of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Oliver has a degree in History from The University of Leeds and a degree in Law from The University of Law.
Ask Ollie – What is a ‘Protective Trust’ and is this something which I should be considering?
Ask Ollie – In Trust Winter 2018/2019
Oliver Embley has been named as one of eprivateclient’s t Top 35 under 35 2018
Should I have a trust in my Will?
Ask Ollie: I was born in the United States when my father was working there…
Digital legacies need legal protection say lawyers
Wills and Succession: Recent Developments
In Trust Winter 2017/18