T: +44 (0)20 7395 3011
Oliver specialises in tax planning for high net worth UK domiciled and resident individuals with particular expertise in planning with residential property. He advises on Inheritance Tax, Capital Gains Tax, preparing Wills and administering high value and complex estates.
Oliver’s practice also covers contentious trusts and probate work including bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 (”the ’75 Act”), mental capacity claims, and claims for and against trustees.
He was named as one of eprivateclient magazine’s Top 35 Under 35 in 2015.
- Advising clients on IHT and CGT mitigation with residential property. This includes, co-occupation relief, Principal Private Residence advice, the use of trust structures and advice in relation to Agricultural Property Relief.
- The creation of a number of Family Investment Companies and working with the firm’s Corporate team providing tax advice.
- The administration of a £10m estate involving various technical aspects including challenging HMRC’s interpretation of a reverter to settlor claim.
- Acting for the Independent Administrators of an estate facing four claims under the ’75 Act.
- Settling a claim at mediation brought against clients, the beneficiaries of a large estate, by an estranged adult daughter under the ’75 Act. This case also involved allegations of lack of capacity and undue influence.
- Advising the trustees of a charitable trust in relation to their duties following a potential claim against them by a large public school beneficiary.
Oliver joined Wedlake Bell as a trainee in September 2007. He qualified into the Private Client Team in March 2010 after spending six months in the firm’s marketing team.
Oliver was promoted to Associate in October 2012 and to Senior Associate in October 2016.
He is a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and a student member of the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS).
Oliver has a degree in History from The University of Leeds and a degree in Law from The University of Law.
In Trust Winter 2017/18
Wills and Succession: Recent Developments
Ask Ollie: How Should I Pay My Trust Expenses?
IN TRUST SUMMER 2017: ASK OLLIE
IN TRUST SUMMER 2017
Digital legacies need legal protection say lawyers
Should I have a trust in my Will?
Spring Budget 2017: Key Points for Private Clients
Ask Ollie: I was born in the United States when my father was working there…
Oliver Embley has been named as one of eprivateclient’s t Top 35 under 35 2018