Insolvency & Restructuring
T: +44 (0)20 7395 3137
Ed conducts a variety of contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring matters, and wider business critical litigation. He acts on behalf of lenders, liquidators, administrators, LPA receivers, trustees in bankruptcy, companies, purchasers of distressed assets, creditors and other stakeholders, and directors.
He specialises in bringing and defending claims brought by liquidators and trustees in bankruptcy including transactions at an under value, voidable preferences, wrongful and fraudulent trading, and breach of duty (including allegations of fraud and international asset tracing). He also has significant experience in civil fraud, dishonesty and misrepresentation proceedings and investigations, including the use of freezing and other targeted injunctions.
Ed also acts as an independent Supervising Solicitor overseeing search (and seizure) orders obtained in civil proceedings.
- Advising a healthcare provider with over 8,000 employees on a company voluntary arrangement (CVA).
- Advising Jersey liquidators on claims available in the UK.
- Advising an administrator in relation to his appointment and the subsequent sale of the business and assets of an invoice discounting platform.
- Advising liquidators on claims against directors of companies in the construction industry for (1) wrongful trading and breach of duty; and (2) transaction to defraud creditors.
- Acting for the purchaser of a chain of approximately 100 retail outlets and concessions from an administrator and, separately, the intellectual property of a live and on-demand video website.
- Acting for administrators in relation to the sale of a significant plot of land and commencing injunctive relief proceedings to clear off any claims to an interest in the land.
- Advising liquidators of a leisure goods investment scheme with a creditor deficit of over £16M on claims against directors and third parties.
- Advising liquidators of a construction related company on claims against directors and the former administrators.
- Acting for US purchasers of a sports business in a freezing injunction and subsequent proceedings in circumstances where the financial and contractual documentation was fabricated.
- Advising a technology client on its rights in relation to the procurement by a third party to breach a service contract.
- Advising a fund on bringing fraud proceedings against former directors and third parties, and enforcement of a foreign judgment in the UK.
- Advising an employee on the structuring of a significant financial settlement following a bonus dispute.
- Defending directors against misfeasance and undervalue claims brought by an office holder.
Ed trained with Wedlake Bell and qualified in 2003 and became a Partner in 2010. He is a Member of the Association of Business Recoveries Professionals (R3) and POCLA. Ed is Head of Wedlake Bell’s Business Group and a member of the executive Board.
The Christmas Cheer is Over – Rise in Bankruptcies
“Should I stay or should I go now?” – Dealing with the Clash in Shareholder Disputes
“Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition”
IN TRUST SUMMER 2017: SIMPLIFYING THE FAMILY BUSINESS