In Trust Summer 2019
05 / 06 / 2019
WELCOME FROM THE EDITOR
Welcome to the Summer 2019 edition of In Trust. In this issue, we bring together a range of articles to provide you with a general “wealth planning” update, covering a number of key and topical issues.
The Private Client team works closely with Wedlake Bell’s Commercial Property team to advise on Promotion Agreements. Senior Partner Kim Lalli and Commercial Property Team Senior Associate Harriet Forster write about what Promotion Agreements are, and the things to consider before entering into one. I am sure our landowning readers will find this article useful.
Partner (and newly awarded Citywealth Woman of the Year 2019) Camilla Wallace looks at how Brexit may affect your estate planning and tax position, should we get there. On a related theme, Partner Matthew Braithwaite and Solicitor Rebecca Longshaw write about how the new
tax year is impacting Non-Resident Capital Gains Tax (“NRCGT”).
Read about our Estate Planning for the Complex Client seminar that was held on 14 May 2019. Partner Caroline Miller and Senior Associate Clare Armitage share their key takeaways from the session which covered various topics such as pre-nuptial agreements and family investment companies, as well as risk management issues when drafting a client’s Will.
Wedlake Bell issued a response to the Government consultation on changes proposed to lettings relief and the final period exemption for Capital Gains Tax (“GGT”) and Principal Private Residence Relief (“PPR”). Associate Helen Barnett writes about what these changes are and what you can do should the Government decide to go ahead with them.
In our regular “Ask Ollie” column, Senior Associate Oliver Embley sheds some light on Protective Trusts, and when it might be appropriate to settle one. Finally, we are delighted to welcome back our Partner Caroline Miller after she returned from her maternity leave. Caroline features in our regular interview column in this issue and shares her views on upcoming trends, especially in contentious trust and probate claims.
We look forward to advising you soon.
- “To B, or not to B: That is the Question: Whether ’tis Nobler in the Mind to Suffer the Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fortune, or to Take Arms Against a Sea of Troubles, and by Opposing end them?”
- Making the most of your property assets: Promotion agreements for landowners
- NRCGT changes and planning points for clients
- 6 April is the beginning of the personal tax year
- Estate planning for the complex client seminar on 14 May 2019
- Principal private residence relief – consultation on changes
- Ask Ollie – What is a ‘Protective Trust’ and is this something which I should be considering?
- Profile – Caroline Miller
- Probate fees: Update
- Taxation of trusts consultations: Update
Camilla Wallace – Awarded Woman of the Year at Citywealth Magic Circle Awards 2019.