T: +44 (0)20 7395 3060
M: +44 (0)7767 674230
Jonathan has a wide range of experience in dealing with litigation: alongside general commercial disputes, he specialises in property litigation, development and professional negligence disputes. He also provides strategic advice on transactions and developments, and is known for providing innovative solutions.
He has acted for both landlords, tenants, and developers, including dealing with lease renewals, disrepair, and termination disputes.
Jonathan has also acted in a variety of general commercial disputes, including acting against financial institutions.
His professional negligence experience includes negligent surveys and legal advice, including environmental contamination.
Jonathan also has a significant amount of experience in working with charities and religious organisations.
- Successfully defending a number of multiple million pound claims by tenants under first refusal / enfranchisement legislation involving assets from £350k to £6m.
- Advising on a multiple-million-pound development and defect claim. This multiple party dispute involved four experts and dealing with a wide variety of defects.
- Acting for the claimants in a £12m professional negligence claim involving a number of linked transactions spanning two decades.
- Advising on a £3m dilapidations claim in respect of the HQ premises of an international professional services business.
- Acting for customers and financial institutions in relation to a number of regulatory matters, including a £500k+ claim against a number of financial institutions.
- Advising in relation to a number of property, development and related joint venture disputes ranging from £15m to £200m developments. These have involved both contractual and, where no contract exists, quantum meruit claims.
- Advising and appearing as advocate in proceedings before HMLR Adjudicator regarding a right of way. The four day trial involved a number of complex legal issues, ten witnesses and evidence and legal principles spanning two centuries.
- Bringing proceedings for a multi-million pound dispute regarding a development blighted by significant environmental contamination. The proceedings involved three experts.
Jonathan originally qualified as a Barrister in 1996.
After four years at the Bar, he joined Allen & Overy LLP’s property litigation team (2000-2007).
He then became a director at Howes Percival / SNR Dentons (2007-2009), before becoming a partner at Fladgate LLP (2009-2021).
Jonathan has been a partner at Wedlake Bell since 2021.
He is a member of the Property Litigation Association, and has been a member of the Education and Training Committee.
Jonathan regularly gives seminars to professional and clients on property and litigation issues.
“Jonathan Hibberts – very bright and engaged.”
Legal 500 – 2021
“Jonathan Hibberts, ‘works harder than it seems is possible’” Legal 500 – 2017
Recommended for Property Litigation – Legal 500 2014-2020
Recommended for Professional Negligence – Legal 500 2017
“Rising Star” for Commercial Litigation – Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers 2015
“The ‘amazing’ Jonathan Hibberts is also recommended.” Legal 500 2014