Esther has over 25 years’ experience in IP and commercial matters. She specialises in all aspects of IP, with emphasis on global brand protection, exploitation and technology transfers, as well broad based commercial IP issues. She also advises on IT contracts and e-commerce including software development and licensing deals in fintech and other sectors. Esther’s work also includes data protection compliance advice and documentation for UK and global organisations.
Her sector focus is broad but has been predominantly in technology and engineering and often with an international flavour, which reflects her academic and personal background.
- Global IP portfolio management for a number of internationally well-known organisations
- Cross border patent licensing and related agreements relating to products and technology used in security papers including bank notes
- Biotech agreements including patent licensing, clinical trials, and material transfers involving research institutes, listed companies and well known industry players
- Complex international brand licensing program for a well-known brand in the automotive industry
- Cross border collaboration and related agreements to develop and manufacture a new model of motor vehicle
- Advising on the UK aspects of the international rollout of brand new in-car infotainment and mobile services for a prestigious automotive group including data protection, product liability, competition law, consumer rights and other legal aspects
- Acting for publishers of authoritative references and publications in their fields in relation to exploitation of their works internationally
- Negotiating and advising on international franchise of various businesses
- Negotiating the granting of TV/film rights based on a novel
- Music contracts
Esther grew up in Hong Kong and is a native Chinese. She speaks fluent Cantonese and some Mandarin. She has a Master’s degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Management from Imperial College, London and worked briefly in the engineering industry.
Esther qualified in 1998, having trained at Bristows. Esther was a Partner in the Commercial team at Laytons before she joined Wedlake Bell.