Our technology practice is much in demand by the firm’s existing clients as well as a growing base of new national and international clients with a technology focus or need. Over the years we have built a respected practice ready to assist with most aspects of a technology business.
We advise technology businesses as well as businesses undergoing digital transformation. We follow latest trends and keep up with disruptive technologies as well as traditional business models. We provide a reliable full service offering focused on technology and innovation.
Our passion for technology is encouraged by our exposure to a multi-sectoral client base and multi-disciplinary legal matters. We pride ourselves on our technical expertise and commercial awareness which allows us to deliver impactful specialist advice.
Comprehensive technology offering
The core practice consists of IP & Commercial, Data Protection, IP Disputes and Brand Protection supported by Corporate, Tax, Disputes, Employment, Pensions & Employee Benefits, Real Estate and Private Client enabling us to provide a comprehensive full service technology offering. Our innovations committee shares with clients its significant experience in digital transformation.
We assist with transactional, operational, strategic as well as enforcement and contentious matters.
We specialise in outsourcing, licensing, e-commerce, collaborations, brand and IP protection and data monetisation involving technologies such as SaaS, machine learning, AI, automation, analytics, facial recognition, tracking technologies, cryptography and blockchain.
We advise shareholders on corporate structures and tax implications of exit, business ventures, commercial disputes, restrictive covenants, real estate matters and employee incentives.
Technology can impact every business sector, one way or another, and we have worked with a wide array of industries.
Our recent experience includes working with sectors such as social media, adtech, insuretech, fintech, trading/brokerage, education, self-regulation, IT, cloud, sport, logistics, hospitality, telecoms, transport, third sector, trading, luxury brands, and property management.
Benefits of working with us
- Expertise in technology matters across sectors.
- Comprehensive full service support.
- External DPO service.
- Training solutions.
- Event participation and industry connections.
- Meaningful know-how updates.
Our recent experience includes:
- Advised European technology business that provides project management software for complex construction, infrastructure and civil engineering projects and negotiated with civil service on a major infrastructure project.
- We advised a global engineering, automotive and motorsport client in relation to its newly-acquired green technology in the field of e-vehicles and batteries and related software-controlled system.
- Supporting a major insurance client on material IT infrastructure and services outsourcing.
- Assisting a specialist trading platform on the implementation of AI-powered personalisation services.
- Working for an innovative document processing service provider on contractual and data protection matters.
- Supporting a tech-focused talent acquisition client on sensitive data and employment law issues.
- Supporting an automation logistics business on lease renegotiation.
- Implementing bonus and share option schemes for tech startups.
- Defending business against claims for compensation under the GDPR.
- Advising a cosmetic product manufacturer in connection with agreements relating to the establishment of a cloud based ordering facility.
- Advising the proprietor of novel recycling technology in respect of research and development and licensing agreements.
- Advising a nuclear power generating business in relation to the acquisition of robotic technology.
- Advising a global provider of e-payment processing services in relation to contracts for the supply of its services relating to processing of e-vouchers and gift cards.
- Assisting with brand and design protection and enforcement for a variety of tech companies.
- Advising on the sale of the business and assets (real and IP) of an invoice discounting platform in administration.
- Advising shareholders of a media tech company on directors’ duties and a shareholders’ dispute.
- Advising administrators of an antenna technology development company on the sale of its real and IP assets.
- Advising former owners of a holiday website on a earn out dispute with the purchaser.
- Working with a NASDAQ listed telecoms operator and media company in its move from its own data centre to a custom-designed colocation space and facilities in a third party-managed data centre.
- Acting for owners and occupiers of property in the UK in relation to the grant and termination of wayleaves for telecommunications and data services.
- Settling a standard form of telecommunications document for the developer of senior living accommodation to be rolled out across their UK portfolio.
- Representing a third party mobile network operator in relation to its London office premises, both leases and co-working spaces, including alterations, dilapidations and new premises.
Partner, Head of Trade Marks
Data reform: Unlocking AI to boost innovation across industry
The article was originally published in Privacy Laws & Business issue 118 on 16 November 2021.
Facial recognition technology: the risks unfold
This article first appeared in the December 2021 issue of PLC Magazine.
Lloyd v Google ruling could protect Big Tech — and smaller businesses
Partner Alexander Dittel has been quoted in Tech Monitor, commenting on the impact of the UK Supreme Court judgment Google v Lloyd. Google’s victory in an appeal against a class-action… Read more →
Lloyd v Google: Google win landmark data claim
The Supreme Court has unanimously ruled to block a representative action brought against Google by a former executive director of consumer watchdog Which? Partner Alexander Dittel shares his thoughts in… Read more →
Use your inner ‘Big’ child to implement the Age Appropriate Design Code
Thinking about how to implement the Age Appropriate Design Code issued by the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office? Reach out to your inner child! In the movie Big, Tom Hanks played… Read more →