Click here to join.
We act for firms such as banks, wealth managers, asset managers, alternative asset managers (especially private equity, hedge, family and private investment offices and real estate funds), independent financial advisers, financial and regulatory technology businesses.
We draft documents and provide advice on:
Corporate structuring and transactions
- Whether activities need to be authorised or not and how to manage the grey areas, such as the perimeter;
- How to structure, build and protect appropriate and flexible business models. We reflect the requirements of principals through drafting appropriate shareholder, joint venture and limited liability agreements. We work with our private client colleagues to ensure that principals protect their investment through appropriate use of trusts and estate planning;
- Documents for authorised and unauthorised funds; and
- The buying and selling of firms, joint ventures and winding up of structures and businesses.
- The authorisation and de- authorisation of firms, conduct of business rules and in conjunction with our employment colleagues on the application and implementation of the senior managers and certification regime;
- The application and interpretation of English law as amended by EU directives such as the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive ( MIFID II), Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MIFIR), the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD), the Undertakings for Collective Investment in Transferable Securities ( UCITS), European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulation;
- Governance arrangements, investment and risk committee procedures and processes, financial promotion and marketing rules and obligations; and
- We work with overseas advisers to ensure compliance with the requirements of other jurisdictions.
- Terms of business, discretionary investment management agreements, custody agreements, distribution agreements, carry and incentive arrangements, commercial and outsourcing agreements.
IP, privacy, data
- Intellectual property protection and exploitation, General Data Protection Regulation ( GDPR), Bribery Act 2010 and competition law.
HR, incentives, pensions
- Sponsor immigration, employment law, pensions and employee benefits . We provide an international labour and compliance law through our iGlobal service.
- Commercial, intellectual property, employment litigation and arbitration, insolvency and restructuring.
Private and Pension fund Investors
We act for private and pension fund investors. We have review and negotiate investment documents, co –investments and terms of business. We represent and negotiate investor interests over the lifetime of an investment.
We advise on consumer credit issues for private lending.
Financial Services Executives
We provide advice on immigration, employment, private client and family matters.
We regularly speak and write on issues of relevance to the financial services industry.
- Advising on the acquisition of an investment research firm by a Singapore Fund Management company.
- Advising on the acquisition of three offshore managers and then the subsequent orderly wind down of a large group hedge funds.
- Advising on the sale of a private investment office to a bank.
- Acquiring a competitor for a UK investment consultancy and fiduciary manager.
- Advising an EU private bank on passporting into the UK including advice on compliance with UK regulatory framework, covering the Retail Distribution Review and Treating Customers Fairly.
- Acting for a hedge fund manager on the launch of a investment management and advisory business, including obtaining FCA authorisation, drafting LLP and advisory agreements, advising on compliance, data protection, bribery and anti-money laundering.
- Advising on the de-authorisation of a bank.
- Extensive legal due diligence and review of investment and fund documents across all asset classes.
Response to FCA competition study: Why asset managers must embrace change
Rosalyn Breedy, corporate and financial services partner at Wedlake Bell, says UK asset managers should tackle their operating models to develop financial firms fit for the 21st century. The Financial… Read more →
Call for better investor protection