Insolvency & Restructuring
T: +44 (0)20 7395 3117
Tal Goldsmith is an insolvency and litigation lawyer. She conducts a variety of both contentious and non-contentious insolvency matters and general commercial litigation and acts on behalf of banks, insolvency professionals, private individuals and companies.
Tal specialises in all aspects of recovery of assets into insolvent estates by liquidators and trustees in bankruptcy, often involving fraud. She acts both in specialist insolvency proceedings and in breach of contract, all types of negligence (including professional negligence) and debt claims.
In addition, Tal assists administrators and LPA receivers with their appointments, sale processes and issues arising in the course of using their powers. She provides advice to corporate and individual clients regarding implications of insolvency for them, acquisitions of businesses and assets from insolvent companies and on structuring transactions to ensure that they comply with companies and insolvency legislation.
Finally, Tal provides litigation strategy advice to clients of teams across the firm when proceedings are being contemplated and pursued. In the recent economic climate, this has involved significant experience in construction disputes, both in an insolvency context and providing advice in relation to complex and high value claims
- Advising Landlords on the effect of Landlord focussed CVAs and on potential claims in respect of unfair prejudice and material irregularity in the proposals.
- Acting both sell-side for Administrators and buy-side on sales and acquisitions of retail and leisure businesses via insolvency processes.
- Advising insolvency practitioners in relation to a range of issues including statutory obligations, TUPE, contingent claims, ROT, adjudication of claims and vesting of assets.
- Advising pension trustee clients in respect of the impact of the insolvency of a contributing employer.
- Advising construction clients in relation to supply chain insolvency issues, litigation strategy and settlement terms in relation to a number of complex/very high value claims.
- Investigating, collating and pursuing claims in respect of void dispositions, voidable preferences, transactions at undervalue and transactions in fraud of creditors on behalf of market-leading insolvency practitioners.
- Pursuing conspiracy to defraud and fraudulent trading claims against offshore companies involved in Missing Trader Intra Community (MTIC) VAT fraud on behalf of UK liquidators.
- Successfully obtaining summary judgment against an international bank in respect of a performance bond given for an oil/gas contract.
Tal obtained a Law degree from the University of Bristol and completed the Bar Vocational Course in the Inns of Court School of Law. Before joining Wedlake Bell, she worked within the specialist Court team within the Corporate Recovery division of RSM Robson Rhodes (now Grant Thornton UK LLP). Amongst other matters she had day to day conduct on behalf of the Trustee in Bankruptcy of a large and complex estate which included ongoing litigation in more than 4 jurisdictions, and worked on a portfolio of cases investigating civil avoidance of VAT for liquidators on behalf of HMRC as principal creditor.
Tal is a non-practising barrister but went on to train with Wedlake Bell and qualified in September 2009. She was made a partner in April 2017.
Tal is a member of the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association and member of the Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association.
Company Voluntary Arrangements – Practical tips for Landlords
Licence to terminate?