T: +44 207 395 3090
Rory advises on both contentious and non-contentious private client matters for UK and international high net worth individuals, trustees and family offices. He has a particular knowledge of Inheritance Tax law and trust law. This forms the basis of his advice to estates, trustees and business owners in order to maximise Business and Agricultural Property Reliefs. He also advises clients on Capital Gains Tax disposals and planning.
On contentious matters, Rory advises on complex trust, succession and private wealth disputes. Rory assists clients with challenges to the validity of wills on the grounds of testamentary capacity, lack of knowledge and approval and fraud. He also advises on claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 where he has acted for spouses and children.
- Advising trustees of a trust on Capital Gains Tax planning prior to the disposal of a 2,000 acre landed estate.
- Advising UK resident financier on the incorporation of a Family Investment Company which was capitalised with $100m.
- Acting for executors in the administration of a complex estate of a deceased UK resident and domiciled whose principal wealth was held in Switzerland and the U.S.
- Assisted an attorney for property and financial affairs to understand that structure and tax position of their incapable donor’s affairs and business interests.
- Advising on a claim by a spouse under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 against the estate of his late wife.
- Assisting a settlor and beneficiaries of a trust to achieve the removal of a trustee who was unfit for the role but refused to retire.
Rory joined Wedlake Bell in September 2017 qualifying into the Private Client department. Prior to joining the firm, Rory trained at Wilsons Solicitors LLP which had a strong focus on Private Client and Corporate law. Rory is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate practitioners having completed the STEP Diploma in Trust and Estate planning in December 2019.
Rory has a degree in Spanish from the University of Leeds and subsequently completed his legal studies at the University of Law.