M: +44 (0)20 7395 3075
Matt provides advice to companies upon a wide variety of employment law and HR issues, whether this be day to day advice, dealing with workplace disputes or conducting litigation. Matt is also experienced in advising senior executives on employment law matters and bringing claims on behalf of such individuals.
Matt has considerable experience of conducting litigation in relation to unfair dismissal claims, particularly where there are complex discrimination or whistleblowing issues involved. He has achieved favourable settlements in relation to various claims when acting for both employers and employees, but has also brought a number of complex cases robustly through the court or tribunal where his clients have not wanted to settle.
Matt advises HR of multi-national companies on day to day issues in relation to a broad spectrum of potential employment law queries, including (but not limited to):
- Unfair dismissal
- Termination of employment
- Settlement agreements
- Employment and consultancy contracts
- Director service contracts
- Investigations, grievances and disciplinary processes
- Holiday pay
- Restrictive covenants
- Sickness absences/disability
- Staff handbooks
- Data protection
- Acted in relation to a complex whistleblowing claim in the Employment Tribunal.
- Brought a maternity and sex discrimination claim on behalf of a high net worth individual through the Employment Tribunal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal.
- Drafted the employment contracts for an international company setting up its first restaurants in London.
- Acted on behalf of a company in defending a breach of contract claim in the High Court which was brought against the company by their former General Counsel.
Before joining Wedlake Bell, Matt was at Kingsley Napley LLP where he worked as an Employment Solicitor. Prior to that Matt trained at Olswang LLP (now known as CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP). Matt has a degree in Law from the University of Warwick and also completed the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School.
Matt is a member of the Employment Law Association.
Extending protection from maternity discrimination – what next?
Episode 6: Employing EU Nationals
The Good Work Plan