Partner - Head of Data Protection
IP & Commercial, Data Protection
T: +44 (0)20 7395 3108
James advises organisations in the private, public and third sectors on data protection issues. His experience includes managing global data protection compliance projects for multinational companies, providing advice on discrete data protection issues and advising companies that have suffered a data breach.
James has also developed and delivered data protection audit and training programs to a wide variety of operators.
- Advising a US$14 BN multinational company on the data protection issues arising from a global HR system.
- Delivering a data protection audit and providing ongoing advice to a national construction and homebuilding company.
- Advising a US headquartered global relocation services provider on data protection matters.
- Advising a London Council on data sharing arrangements.
- Providing outsourced data protection officer (DPO) services to a European commercial bank.
- Developing and delivering an accredited Data Protection Officers training course to a European government.
James joined Wedlake Bell in May 2015 as a partner and head of data protection, from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwCLegal) cyber security and data protection team.
Prior to PwCLegal, James was a senior associate, specialising in data protection at Speechly Bircham.
He qualified at Japanese investment bank Mizuho International, in 2004.
James regularly writes on data protection and has been published in a wide range of titles, including The Times, The Guardian, Spear’s Wealth, V3, Data Protection Law & Policy, Risk & Compliance and USLaw.
He frequently speaks on data protection and cyber security matters, including appearances on BBC News, LBC Radio, and at The Law Society.
"Practice head James Castro-Edwards is advising [...] on data protection issues surrounding its employees and on GDPR compliance"
— Legal 500, 2017
"James Castro-Edwards is a 'cybersecurity expert'"
— Legal 500, 2017