IP & Commercial
T: +44 (0)20 7395 3054
Adrian specialises in intellectual property and commercial matters. He has particular expertise in advising on the protection and exploitation of IP rights such as copyright, designs and trade marks as well as advertising, sponsorship and sport. Adrian also has extensive experience in a broad range of commercial agreements, from agency appointments to nuclear reprocessing contracts and also advises clients in relation to data protection matters.
Adrian’s clients include individual artists and designers, fashion retailers, hotel and restaurant operators, sports businesses, trade associations and overseas power generation companies.
- Advising the redeveloper of the well-known Centre Point tower block in relation to their collaboration with Anglepoise for the development of a range of Anglepoise lamps incorporating the client’s Centre Point logo and certain designs created for the Centre Point project by the high profile designer Eley Kishimoto. Adrian advised in the negotiation of the licence granted to Anglepoise for the use of both the Centre Point logo and use of the Kishimoto designs in connection with the project.
- Advising Which? in connection with the drafting of template trade mark licence agreements relating to the operation of the well-known “Which? Best Buy” and “Which? Recommended Provider” schemes.
- Advising Surrey County Cricket Club in relation to the naming rights sponsorship agreement under which the motor manufacturer Kia has been granted naming rights in relation to the Kia Oval and primary shirt sponsorship rights.
- Advising Pearson Lloyd Design Ltd, an award winning design business, in connection with the provision of design services to Teknion, a leading furniture manufacturer.
- Advising a well-known fashion brand in relation to the operation of its selective distribution system, including advising in relation to the terms and conditions entered into with members of its selective distribution network.
- Advising an overseas nuclear power generator in relation to the negotiation of a transport contract to be entered into with the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) under which, amongst other matters, the NDA undertook the transport from Sellafield to Switzerland of certain nuclear waste arising out of the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel. The negotiations were complex and necessitated advice in connection with, amongst other things, the international regimes governing liability for nuclear incidents.
Adrian joined the firm as a trainee solicitor in 1986, qualified in 1989 and became a partner in 1999. Prior to that, he obtained a degree in Law with LLB distinction from the University of Southampton.
He is a member of the Intellectual Property Lawyers Organisation.
"Adrian Heath-Saunders is a 'key practitioner' ."
— Legal 500, 2017