Regulatory and Judicial Review
We have considerable experience in this sector covering a wide range of matters.
In addition to acting for a regulator our clients often have dealings with regulators or have concerns about public body decisions.
We act for corporates, owner managed businesses, public bodies, religious and educational institutions, trade associations and individuals.
We advise as well as assisting clients with disputes.
Because of the nature of this area often our clients will wish to maintain a healthy working relationship with their counterparts, so our approach will be tailored to the clients' wishes in this respect. Our experience is that clients approach us as a matter of last resort when their attempts to resolve the matter amicably have not been successful. Our involvement can bring about a solution in what are often crucial matters for our clients.
We have experience over a wide range of areas including animals, chemicals, consumer protection, cosmetics, data protection, food, health, insurance, toys and transport.
- Advising clients on their legal position;
- Advising on steps that our clients and opponents might take;
- Taking any alternative steps prior to litigation including taking up any appeal or non judicial review process, negotiation, mediation or other form of alternative dispute resolution;
- If it is not possible to resolve matters, actively pursuing or resisting Court proceedings including claims for judicial review or breach of statutory duty.
- Challenging sections of the EU REACH regulation on chemicals by judicial review to obtain reference to the Court of Justice of the European Union;
- Challenging decision of Health and Safety Executive on classification of chemical for labelling purposes by way of judicial review;
- Acting in dispute over privatisation of overseas pipeline manufacturer;
- Dealing with the Information Commissioner regarding data protection for religious institution;
- Advice on importation of cosmetics into the EU;
- Advising on various claims against public bodies pursuant to tenders and framework agreements;
- Challenging decision of Ministry of Defence regarding contract for supply to armed forces;
- Challenging decision of Network Rail resulting in withdrawal of award within 1 week.
26 May, 2016
02 Oct, 2015
The High Court has ruled a judicial review will take place concerning the Charity Commission’s decision to pressure two charities, the Joseph Rowntree Charitable…Read More
25 Nov, 2014
The courts are ready and willing to penalise commercial parties that refuse genuine offers of mediation. Is mediation finally coming of age?Read More
02 May, 2014
Judicial review is the procedure by which decisions of public law bodies and those of other bodies carrying out public law functions may be challenged through the…Read More
29 Jan, 2014
29 Jan, 2014
14 Oct, 2013
The Jackson reforms have implemented a number of fundamental changes to the UK civil litigation system. Consequently, the way in which claims are processed through…Read More