The Chancellor, Philip Hammond, delivered his first and last Spring Budget to Parliament on 8 March 2017. There were no big personal taxation surprises, fuelling…Read More
Oliver Embley's Service Teams
'Oliver is a Senior Associate in the Private Client team with expertise in UK inheritance and capital gains tax, succession planning, estate administration and trust management. His practice also covers trusts and probate disputes including bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and claims in relation to the validity of Wills'.
- Administering the estate of the widow of a pre-eminent entrepreneur valued at £33 million. The deceased made around £45 million of lifetime gifts and Oliver successfully argued against HM Revenue and Customs that the majority of these qualified for the normal expenditure out of income exemption thereby saving several million pounds of inheritance tax.
- Advising the trustees of a £5 million trust where the life tenant was made bankrupt. Together with the Business Recoveries team, Oliver advised the trustees how to protect the capital of the trust from the life tenant's trustee in bankruptcy, their duties to the beneficiaries and to the trustee in bankruptcy.
- Advising the trustees of a £10 million trust which owns an estate in Cornwall. Successfully registering the trust with the Charity Commission and advising the trustees on their duties to the income beneficiary (a pre-eminent public school) and the capital beneficiaries.
- Settling a long running dispute at mediation where it was alleged that the deceased lacked the necessary testamentary capacity to make his Will.
- Rectification of a Will which had been negligently drafted by another firm of solicitors.
- Bringing and defending various claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.
Oliver joined Wedlake Bell LLP as a trainee in September 2007. He completed his training contract in 2009 and upon qualification joined the marketing team where he worked for six months. In March 2010 he joined the Private Client Team as a solicitor.
Oliver was named as one of eprivateclient magazine's 'Top 35 Under 35' in 2015
Oliver is also a member of STEP (the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners). Oliver is currently a student member of the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists.
- Quoted in The Telegraph article: 'Can I leave a mortgaged property to my children in trust?' - Published on 21 October 2016
- Quoted in The Telegraph article: The new Bank of Mum and Dad: 'We live in dad's buy-to-let' - Published on 11 October 2016
- Quoted in the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners’ online update: “Growing importance of the digital legacy” - Published on 17 April 2014
- Quoted in The Independent article: New court ruling hits hopes of co-habiting couples - Published on 10 December 2011
- Article in Lexology: Wright v Gater highlights the pitfalls of not making a Will – Published on 1 December 2011
Articles & Comment
09 Mar, 2017 | Emma Loveday
02 Mar, 2016 | Oliver Embley
14 Dec, 2015 | Jonathan Achampong
The Chancellor’s recent announcement in the Autumn Statement regarding a rise in the amount of SDLT payable by landlords and second home owners has received much…Read More
17 Sep, 2015 | Oliver Embley
Wedlake Bell's Oliver Embley has been named in eprivateclients' annual Top 35 Under 35 list.Read More
03 Jul, 2015 | Oliver Embley
Oliver Embley discusses the Government’s proposals for a £1 million IHT allowance.Read More