Offshore and International
We provide tax and estate planning advice for a range of UK-resident, non-domiciled individuals and families in addition to helping those who need advice in advance of taking up residence in the UK.
Partner - Head of Private Client Team
Professional Support Lawyer
Partner, Head of Private Client Group
Wedlake Bell LLP has ‘a very strong and experienced practice that is accustomed to dealing with high-value and complex estates and trusts’.
Legal 500, 2016
The team's service is characterised by ‘personal chemistry both within the firm and towards the client' and by its‘readiness to wrestle with the intractable problems and to reach wise and humane solutions'.
Legal 500, 2014
The team is appreciated for its ‘good response times and realistic time schedules’.
Legal 500, 2013
We can advise clients on how best to structure their wealth offshore, working closely with trustees and family offices in a number of jurisdictions on the establishment and ongoing administration of trust and corporate structures - including the set-up of private trust companies.
We are experts in the creation and governance of wealth planning structures meaning we can help wealthy international families preserve their wealth and ensure its safe stewardship through generations.
We advise non-domiciliaries on core UK taxes (income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax) and, through our membership of USLaw and TELFA, we have links with advisers in foreign jurisdictions that mean we can provide genuine multi-jurisdictional, comprehensive tax and estate planning solutions.
We also advise clients with assets in different countries - throughout Europe, the Middle East, the US and beyond - where probate or succession issues arise. Our team has extensive experience in cross border probate, will drafting and asset holding structures, taking into account the succession laws of the countries concerned and estate tax implications where spouses or couples have different domiciles or citizenship.
- Advising on becoming UK resident and the tax implications of UK and non-UK residence and domicile;
- Advising non-UK domiciliaries on mitigation of UK income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax including use of the remittance basis and available reliefs and exemptions;
- Advising on and establishing tax-efficient structures including the use of offshore trusts and companies;
- Advising trustees, beneficiaries and protectors of trusts on rights, duties, liabilities and obligations in addition to tax-efficient restructuring opportunities.
- Restructuring the offshore trust and company arrangements of a non-UK domiciled family (worth £250 million);
- Restructuring the trusts of a family located in Monaco and elsewhere (worth £40 million);
- Putting in place new offshore structures for a wealthy Egyptian family involving the UK, Kuwait, Switzerland, France and elsewhere (£40 million);
- Dealing with the creation of a new offshore structure to fund a captive insurance company in the Isle of Man (worth £20 million).