Organisations employing EU nationals in the UK must tread carefully on the path to Brexit or face discrimination claims or reputational damage. Wedlake Bell’s Julia…Read More
Laura Conway's Service Teams
Laura acts on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters. She supports her clients with a range of complex HR issues and regularly drafts and updates employment documentation, including employment contracts and handbooks.
Laura has considerable experience in dealing with contentious matters, both in the Employment Tribunal and the High Court. Her contentious practice focuses on complex discrimination claims as well as competition and confidentiality issues, including team moves.
Laura also regularly advises on complex TUPE matters and provides employment support on business sales (including in insolvency situations), property transactions and outsourcings.
Laura is experienced in managing international projects, coordinating advice in other jurisdictions and dealing with cross border issues.
Laura regularly acts for individuals, on appointment and also assisting them through the disciplinary, grievance, redundancy, flexible working and performance processes. She is experienced in negotiating exit packages and regularly advises on the terms of settlement agreements. Laura has experience acting for Claimants in Employment Tribunal proceedings and high value High Court claims. She also regularly advises individuals on navigating post-termination restrictions.
Laura has recently written an updated chapter on intra-group reorganisations in Tolley's Employment Law, with a particular focus on TUPE.
- Acting for a client against two ex-employees who had allegedly taken confidential information and were planning to damage reputation. Issuing injunctive proceedings and successfully obtaining a consent order.
- Advising on a race, religion, sex, disability by association and age discrimination claim.
- Acting for a US technology company on a complicated grievance matter involving the UK managing director and defending a subsequent constructive dismissal and discrimination claim.
- Advising on the employment aspects of the sale of an adoption and fostering business including issues involving a local government pension scheme and TUPE.
- Negotiating the TUPE position on behalf of a large care provider on the outsourcing of its facilities management function.
- Advising an individual on her flexible working request and subsequent constructive dismissal, sex and pregnancy discrimination claim in the Employment Tribunal which were settled pre-hearing on favourable terms.
Laura trained with Wedlake Bell and qualified into the Employment team in September 2010. Prior to commencing her training contract Laura spent a year with the IP and Commercial team.
Laura is a member of the ELA and regularly holds training sessions and seminars for her clients.
Articles & Comment
26 Apr, 2017 | Julia Jackson
08 Dec, 2016 | Laura Conway
In a recent case the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) has found that a "perfunctory and insensitive" redundancy consultation process can impact on the ultimate…Read More
21 Jun, 2016 | Laura Conway
In a recently reported case involving a brokerage firm (Carreras v United First Partnership Research UKEAT/0266/15) the Employment Appeals Tribunal (EAT) has opened…Read More
29 Oct, 2015 | Laura Conway
If a business is proposing to make 20 or more redundancies in one establishment, then the procedure that needs to be followed is more onerous, takes at least 30…Read More
27 Oct, 2015 | Laura Conway
When the Equality Act 2010 ("EA") came into force, it was drafted to prohibit discrimination by association in relation to claims for direct discrimination and also…Read More