Kate Johnson discusses Brussels IV on Share Radio, a ground-breaking new piece of EU legislation which came into force on 17 August 2015 and gives individuals with…Read More
Kate Johnson's Service Teams
Kate advises clients on personal tax and trust issues. Her practice includes domestic and international tax and estate planing.
Kate advises clients on the use of lifetime gifts, tax-efficient Wills and trusts to mitigate UK inheritance tax, capital gains tax and income tax. Kate has experience of onshore and offshore trust administration, estate administration, the preparation of Lasting Powers of Attorney and charity formation.
- Advising family on tax and estate plannning in advance of the sale of the family business.
- Setting up grant making Charitable Incorporated Organisations.
- Drafting wills for testators with European assets.
- Advising on restructuring UK real estate ownership by non-domiciled individuals.
- UK tax and remittance planning for individuals moving to or returning to the UK.
Kate qualified as a private client solicitor in 2011 and joined Wedlake Bell in 2013 from Trowers & Hamlins.
Kate is a STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, www.step.org) member, having obtained a distinction in her exams.
Kate is named as one of eprivateclient's 2016 Top 35 Under 35 and as Tax and Estate Planning Lawyer of the Year in the 2016 Women in Law Awards.
- "A matter of equal choice" published in Solicitors Journal, November 2016
- "About Time" published in Solicitors Journal, October 2016
- Interviewed on Share Radio, August 2015, "What is Brussels IV and how does it change the inheritance landscape"
- Quoted in The Telegraph, July 2015, "Spanish holiday home tax fiasco - Britons finally receiving refunds"
- Quoted in The Telegraph, July 2015, "Do I still need a foreign will to cover my European holiday home?"
Articles & Comment
25 Aug, 2015 | Kate Johnson
21 Aug, 2015 | Kate Johnson
It was announced in the Summer Budget on 8 July 2015 that a residence nil-rate band for inheritance tax (“IHT”) will be introduced from April 2017 for the family…Read More
04 Aug, 2015 | Kate Johnson
Many Britons own holiday homes in Spain but until recently, a discriminatory rate of inheritance tax was charged by the Spanish tax authorities when they died. Following…Read More
09 Jul, 2015 | Kate Johnson
The second Budget of 2015 was fuller than in previous years, and saw George Osborne announce some changes that we knew were on their way and some which came as more…Read More
23 Feb, 2015 | Kate Johnson
Networking groups like Girls’ Day School Trust offer invaluable support to their members, both personally and professionally.Read More