Wearable technology is increasingly recognised as a means to deliver a wide range of benefits to businesses. Recently, insurance providers have recognised ways of…Read More
James Castro-Edwards's Service Teams
James advises organisations in the private, public and third sectors on data protection issues. His experience includes managing global data protection compliance projects for multinational companies, providing advice on discrete data protection issues and advising companies that have suffered a data breach. He has also developed and delivered data protection audit and training programs to a wide variety of operators.
- Advising a US$14 BN multinational company on the data protection issues arising from a global HR system;
- Delivering a data protection audit and providing ongoing advice to a national construction and homebuilding company;
- Advising a US headquartered global relocation services provider on data protection matters;
- Advising a London Council on data sharing arrangements;
- Providing outsourced data protection officer (DPO) services to a European commercial bank; and
- Developing and delivering an accredited Data Protection Officers training course to a European government.
James joined Wedlake Bell in May 2015 as a partner and head of data protection, from PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwCLegal) cyber security and data protection team.
Prior to PwCLegal, James was a senior associate, specialising in data protection at Speechly Bircham. He qualified at Japanese investment bank Mizuho International, in 2004.
He frequently speaks on data protection and cyber security matters, including appearances on BBC News, LBC Radio, and at The Law Society.
James regularly writes on the data protection and has been published in a wide range of titles, including The Times, The Guardian, Spear's Wealth, V3, Data Protection Law & Policy, Risk & Compliance and USLaw.
Articles & Comment
16 Mar, 2017 | James Castro-Edwards
28 Feb, 2017 | James Castro-Edwards
In October 2016, telecoms provider TalkTalk was fined £400,000 by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) for failing to protect customers' personal data, breaching…Read More
23 Feb, 2017 | James Castro-Edwards
This court of appeal case, handed down on 16th February, concerns a subject access request ('SAR') made under s.7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 ('DPA'). It has…Read More
18 Oct, 2016 | James Castro-Edwards
This month, the information commissioner’ s office (ICO) fines TalkTalk for failing to adequately protect its customers' personal data. The record-breaking £400,000…Read More
28 Sep, 2016 | James Castro-Edwards
The Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) has been undergoing reform by way of the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GPDR), due to take effect in May 2018.Read More