Our Intellectual Property (IP) team comprises dedicated, specialist lawyers who use their expertise to help clients create, protect, exploit and enforce intellectual property rights.
Partner – Head of IP & Commercial Team
Partner - Head of Competition Law
Partner - Head of IT Law
"They are very responsive and give very good, common-sense advice."
"They are commercially minded and put the client's interests first."
Chambers UK, 2017
Wedlake Bell LLP’s ‘strong’ team includes Adrian Heath-Saunders, who advised property developer Almacantar on a merchandising collaboration with Anglepoise, and assisted Hugo Boss with a proposed Black Friday promotion. The ‘excellent’ Adam Edwards acted for Badminton England in connection with sponsorship matters.
Legal 500, 2016
"An excellent IP firm."
"We have looked at other firms but have always preferred Wedlake Bell for their efficiency and professionalism."
Chambers UK, 2016
"They all have an extremely thorough knowledge of trade mark law and are capable of in-depth analysis of complex global situations and the impact locally."
Chambers UK, 2015
"The quality of advice is superb and commercial."
Chambers UK, 2015
The team recently advised Which? on trade mark issues and Badminton England on sponsorship arrangements. It also acted for 192.com in relation to an ASA complaint brought by Yell regarding online and social media advertising.
Legal 500, 2014
"They have an extremely thorough knowledge of trade mark law. They're capable of in-depth analysis of both complex global situations as well as the impact locally."
Chambers UK, 2014
We can help you protect and exploit your ideas, innovation and commercial plans. This includes advice on the registration of trade marks, licensing, distribution, franchising and the exploitation of IP rights in all forms - including online.
The IP aspects of the marketing and advertising of products and services - particularly online - are an important part of our work in addition to advising on parallel trading and brand protection.
Where IP rights are infringed, or where you are under attack from others, our contentious IP practitioners are responsive, available and highly effective. We are experienced in all aspects of IP dispute resolution and litigation - including in the High Court, Intellectual Property Enterprise Court and before the UK Intellectual Property Office and European Intellectual Property Office.
We cover commercial disputes and infringement claims relating to
- Trade marks
- Passing off
- Database right
- Privacy and confidential information
- Some types of patents
- Domain names
Finally, our Intellectual Property team runs a quarterly free Brands & IP seminar for clients that range from large multi-national brands to individuals across a wide range of business sectors.
- Brand strategy and protection;
- Trade mark disputes;
- Passing off;
- Disputes involving all types of UK and Community designs;
- Patent disputes;
- Copyright and database right disputes;
- Advising on website content and internet related issues;
- Exploitationof copyright and database rights;
- Protection and exploitation of software;
- Advising on rights to privacy and image rights;
- Advising on confidentiality agreements and breaches of confidence;
- Acquisition, transfer and disposal of IP rights;
- Licensing, franchising and joint ventures;
- Merchandising, sponsorship and product endorsement agreements;
- Advertising, promotions and events management;
- Risk managementand commercial dispute resolution.
- Advising a leading supermarket chain in connection with parallel trading and IP disputes including trade mark and design disputes;
- Running the intellectual property enforcement programme in the UK for a major European car manufacturer;
- Advising premium fashion brand owners on complex trade mark licences relating to manufacturing, wholesaling, distribution and retailing throughout the world;
- Acting for a well known consumers’ organisation in a trade mark and passing off case;
- Advising a publisher of academic text books principally in the applied visual arts and design sector, in relation to the disposal of its intellectual property and other assets (including author contracts) to Bloomsbury Publishing.