Financial Services Regulatory
"A responsive team of commercial professionals" who are "extremely client-focused and knowledgeable."
Chambers UK, 2017
We specialise in advising on the strategic application and tactical implementation of the UK financial services regime within the context of the broader EU and international framework.
We sit within the Corporate group advising financial service joint ventures, new firms and buyers and sellers of financial service firms. We also work with local advisors to provide an integrated advisory model for firms who seek to use the UK as a gateway to the EU and who wish to provide financial services from the UK globally.
We work closely with our Private Client and Tax teams to assist clients in structuring and establishing their private investment funds. We advise family offices and private individuals on whether they need to be authorised and if so, on what they need to do to achieve that.
We work with our litigation colleagues to provide financial service firms and individuals facing disputes and/or regulatory enforcement with deep expertise and knowledge of the financial services sector and the FCA regulatory environment. Clients benefit from an astute application of financial services law and long experience in dealing with regulators.
- Financial services regime advice on the regulatory activities and territorial perimeter, financial promotion rules, regulated activities and exemptions, authorisation and product development , collective investment schemes and alternative investment funds, conduct of Business source book rules, market abuse and insider dealing rules.
- We have experience in obtaining FCA approval and authorisation for new financial services businesses and in working with umbrellas.
- Creation, negotiation and dispute resolution for Shareholder/LLP agreements/joint venture agreements of financial service firms.
- Establishment of authorised and unauthorised private fund vehicles and drafting and review of investment management agreements and fund documentation.
- Co-ordinating the implementation of cross border compliance regulatory projects and projects that affect financial service firms such as international and EU directives such as FATCA, Dodd-Frank, EMIR, AIFMD.
Our experience covers advising private clients (individual investors and family offices), fiduciary businesses and financial service firms (wealth managers, alternative fund managers and fintech companies).