Finance and Banking
Our Commercial Litigation Team acts on a wide range of disputes regarding banking and finance – for lenders, borrowers and guarantors.
We advise on the legal positions of the various parties involved and then take steps to achieve our clients' aims - whether that be enforcement of obligations or negotiating a suitable outcome.
We advise bank clients on arrangements with other banks.
We deal with situations where borrowers are in dispute with their lenders regarding the terms of financing and have been able to negotiate revised terms ensuring the client has more time to refinance.
We act for guarantors where they are pursued for repayment of monies due under their guarantees and face freezing orders obtained over assets in a number of jurisdictions.
We have also acted for a large investment bank in arbitration proceedings regarding a commitment it had entered into.
On behalf of borrower clients we have successfully challenged and defended court proceedings brought against them and we have assisted them with restructuring their borrowing and extending the relationship.
Given our multi-jurisdictional experience, much of our work has an international element to it.
- Advising clients on banking and finance disputes;
- Reviewing documents and facts and if required obtaining expert input and advising on the legal position and how best to resolve the dispute;
- Advising and acting clients on furthering or protecting their interests, whether by negotiation and agreement or by court proceedings or other means of dispute resolution or action.
- Pursuing claims for creditors;
- Acting for overseas guarantor of substantial loans and dealing with steps taken by overseas lender both in England and elsewhere;
- Successfully negotiating variation and extension of terms of facility following making of demand and denial of further funds;
- Obtaining further time to pay for borrower following breach of obligations by resisting Court proceedings;
- Dealing with arbitration of dispute for investment bank;
- Advice to lender concerning terms on which banking dispute should be settled.