Data Protection Solicitors
Our commercial and data protection lawyers have many years of experience providing legal advice to clients in relation to all aspects of data protection regulation.
Partner – Head of Data Protection Law
Partner - Head of Competition Law
Partner - Head of IT Law
Partner – Head of IP & Commercial Team
Data protection law affects virtually every public, private and third sector organisation. In fact, it is difficult to imagine anyone unaffected by data protection laws. Organisations' use of outsourced systems and Software as a Service (SAAS), and the increasing globalisation of business mean that data protection compliance frequently becomes an international challenge. At the same time, penalties for non-compliance can be severe. Imminent European law reform is likely to introduce wider enforcement powers and heavier penalties still, with jurisdictions elsewhere around the world following suit. Data protection has become an increasingly serious challenge for legal, compliance and risk professionals, who may already be overstretched.
We have a dedicated team of experienced data protection lawyers, who can advise on all aspects of data protection law, whether pre-emptive compliance advice, or response to data breaches. Thanks to our international network of foreign lawyers, we can also handle multinational projects.
Our data protection compliance advice includes data-flow mapping and data inventory analysis; notification with data protection authorities; creation of data protection documentation; advising on complex, cross-border transfers, and data sharing arrangements with third-party service providers and group companies (including international group companies). We have also developed innovative training solutions to help organisations ensure their employees have an appropriate understanding of their obligations. Our depth and breadth of experience enables us to deliver practical, effective solutions.
If the worst should happen and you suffer a data incident such as a data breach, or cyber-attack, we can help guide you through the aftermath, including working with IT, public relations and other relevant professionals to help mitigate the situation and responding to the ICO. Our highly experienced team can give you support when you need it most.
- Advising in relation to notifications under the Data Protection Act 1998;
- Drafting privacy policies;
- Advising in relation to compliance with the "cookies" regime;
- Advising on transfers of personal data outside the EEA;
- Advising in relation to the making of, and responses to, subject access requests;
- Drafting of internal policies and guidelines;
- Advising in relation to claims for breach of the Data Protection Act 1998;
- Advising in relation to direct marketing and compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003;
- Drafting and negotiating appropriate terms for inclusion in contracts between data controllers and data processors including in relation to cloud computing services;
- Advising in response to data breach incidents;
- Advising in relation to dealings with the Information Commissioner's Office.
- Advising an international hotel group on the updating of its global data protection compliance manuals;
- Drafting and negotiation of contractual terms for inclusion in a contract for the provision of website development and website hosting services by a cloud services provider on behalf of a fashion retailer;
- Advising various entities on an urgent basis in the aftermath of data breach incidents and assisting them through the aftermath;
- Seeking urgent injunctive relief to prevent the publication of confidential information, including personal data;
- Use of Norwich Pharmacal disclosure orders to identify the perpetrators of data breaches.