Our Construction Team advises at every stage of the construction life cycle, from planning, design and procurement through to on site construction issues and successful completion.
"Good bench strength, good technically and easy to work with."
Chambers UK, 2017
Wedlake Bell LLP’s ‘commercially savvy’ team focuses on providing non-contentious advice to clients such as Spire Healthcare and Heron International.
Legal 500, 2016
"A very pragmatic team that doesn't allow the paperwork to bog things down."
Chambers UK, 2016
"They were excellent – professional and committed to hitting the deadlines."
Chambers UK, 2015
Sources describe the team as ‘personable, knowledgeable, competent and commercial'.
Legal 500, 2014
"Standards of customer service are high, with one client noting that "their response times are excellent, and deadlines are always met."
Chambers UK, 2012
"Their understanding of JCT contracts is first-class".
Chambers UK, 2012
We provide specialist construction advice to clients across the property and construction industry including developers, funders, purchasers, main contractors, consultants and specialist sub-contractors.
We have experience of a wide range of projects – from high-value new build schemes to contracts for refurbishment works. Our clients engage in both commercial and residential developments, including social housing. We also advise developers of space for offices and residential use, care home providers, fit-out contractors, international banks and leading private healthcare companies.
We advise on the preparation and negotiation of construction contracts and all associated documentation to procure building works - including development agreements, building contracts, consultant appointments, bonds, guarantees and warranties.
We also advise in connection with construction disputes – placing real emphasis on seeking to avoid the time and cost of formal dispute resolution where possible.
Our collaborative approach means we work directly with clients and their advisors to identify and minimise any risks. We also work closely with other specialist teams at Wedlake Bell on the construction aspects of the sale, purchase and refinancing of property. Clients recently commended our lawyers for their "great interaction with their internal departments and a real understanding of their clients' commercial requirements."
Clients have said of the "formidable" Wedlake Bell team that "we would happily recommend them to anyone looking for professional advice and/or assistance with building contracts of any kind.”
- Advising on project structuring and procurement;
- Preparing and negotiating construction contracts and all related documentation including building contracts, development agreements, consultant appointments, collateral warranties, bonds, guarantees and escrow arrangements;
- Negotiating construction related provisions of agreements with funders, pre-let tenants, purchasers and registered providers;
- Advising on matters which may arise during a project such as payment, delays, defects and conditions precedent to funding;
- Dispute resolution: adjudication, arbitration, litigation, mediation and settlement strategies.
- Advising the property investment arm of the LEGO group of companies on and negotiating all of the construction contracts for a central London office project (c.£20m). Providing supplemental agreements and on-going advice throughout the project;
- Advising a large care home provider on the terms of a development funding agreement for several new build projects. Providing continuing advice in respect of the construction contracts for each project;
- Advising the bank on all construction aspects of the funding of new build high specification residential properties at Park Road NW8; and
- Acting on behalf of a leading provider of affordable homes in the south east in relation to the development of several sites.