Clive Weber, Partner, Pensions & Employee Benefits TeamRead More
- International Litigation
- Group Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Company, Shareholder and Partnership Disputes
- Finance and Banking
- Professional Negligence
- Regulatory and Judicial Review
- Professional Regulation and Disciplinary
- IT Disputes
- Injunctions and Emergency Procedures
- Restrictive Covenant Breaches
Clive Weber's Service Teams
- Employee Benefits
- Pension Scheme Investment
- Trusteeship & Governance
- Corporate Transactions
- Scheme Documentation Services
- Pension Disputes
- International Pension Issues
- Pension Scheme Strategy & Liability Management
- Pensions & Employee Benefits
Clive Weber is ‘a real gentleman, who has a quiet but firm manner and always delivers’.
Legal 500, 2016
Clive Weber is well versed in advising employers and trustees on a range of complex pensions issues, including HMRC matters and pension scheme documentation.
Chambers UK, 2016
Clive Weber is ‘hugely experienced'.
Legal 500, 2015
Clive Weber is 'responsive, friendly, very good to work with and clearly knows his stuff'. He has a wealth of experience and is head of the firm's pensions and employee benefits team.
Chambers UK, 2015
Clive Weber has ‘a wealth of knowledge and experience accumulated over many years', and is ‘excellent at identifying the key issues and how they might be addressed' and ‘very approachable and erudite'.
Legal 500, 2014
Clive Weber 'has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the subject, and has displayed great patience in dealing with Trustees, where he has shown himself to be a good communicator'.
Legal 500, 2010
Clive advises on all aspects of UK pensions law drawing on over 35 years' experience as a pensions' lawyer. He acts for employers, trustees and members, including on restructuring of schemes, contingent asset arrangements (including for PPF purposes), dealing with the Pensions Regulator and the Pension Protection Fund, and with member complaints at scheme and Pensions Ombudsman levels, advising on pension aspects of corporate transactions and on legal aspects of trustees' investment duties and powers. He also advises on pension death benefits and inter-generational wealth transfers in conjunction with our Private Client team..
- Switch from RPI to CPI for pension increases: Advising together with leading Counsel on trustee powers to switch index and relevant factors to be considered. Assisting trustee board in arriving at a legally robust decision. Switching took place, thereby significantly reducing the scheme deficit.
- Charge over employer property to reduce PPF levy and to underpin scheme's deficit recovery plan: Charge completed very swiftly, with assistance from colleagues in our Property and Banking Teams. Significant reduction in PPF levy achieved.
- In relation to an EU (non-UK) based employer, advising on PPF entry 'insolvency' requirements under EU insolvency rules (in conjunction with our Business Recoveries team), to improve prospects for the scheme to enter the PPF should the need arise.
- Advice on exercise of trustee's unilateral contribution powers in context of multi-employer scheme – to help protect the trust fund.
- Trustee achieved exit contribution well in excess of employer's Section 75 debt.
- Advice in a multi-employer scheme on trustee's investment duties – to ensure compliance with the Investment Regulations.
Clive founded the Wedlake Bell pension practice in 1978 and became a Partner in Wedlake Bell in 1985. He is one of the longest serving Wedlake Bell Partners and maintains a keen interest in the delivery of cost effective quality legal services.
Clive is a member of the Association of Pension Lawyers and sits on their Legislative and Parliamentary Committee. The Committee liaise with Government on pension legislation, meets with Government and pension authorities and comments on proposed new legislation.
Clive is one of the three joint Editors of "Law of Pension Schemes". He is on the Editorial Board of Lexis on-line pension service which is widely used by the pensions industry.
Articles & Comment
28 Jun, 2017 | Clive Weber
27 Jun, 2017 | Clive Weber
Help is at hand for employers which accidentally cease to have active members, or is it?Read More
27 Apr, 2017 | Clive Weber
Latest developmentsRead More
20 Mar, 2017 | Clive Weber
Clive Weber, Partner in Pensions and Employee Benefits was quoted in Pensions Age, the leading pensions magazine.Read More
28 Feb, 2017 | Clive Weber
The Upper Tribunal has recently given its decision in an interesting case concerning inheritance tax (“IHT”) and pension schemes.Read More